Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pomp & Circumstance

For me, the most important aspect of a wedding is the ceremony. Its why you're doing all this wedding planning! No wedding ceremony = no wedding reception. The ceremony is the heart & soul of your wedding - its publically declaring "hey, i love this person". So, in the wake of a recent client discussion AND el economia ... it got me thinking.

Ceremonies these days are more spiritual, more about the couple and include more cultural traditions than ever. But, ceremonies are getting shorter and shorter ... they are more to the point it seems. Which begs the question - how much should you 'dress up' the ceremony? Floral arrangements for ceremonies are always beautiful and so elegant and tasteful, but, if you're guests are going to be at the ceremony for less than 30 minutes, do you really need to spend $1,000's on arrangements? This is where my practical side chimes in and says, No. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying forgo any florals at the ceremony - on the contrary - I am saying - do florals that are tasteful and economic, no one is around long enough to appreciate the time and effort that went into them. Stick to one or two dramatic arrangements - perhaps something to demarcate the alter area, or choose something fun to drape on the rows of seats. And, if you can reuse these florals at your reception, even better.

Point in case - I spent a loooong time figuring out our ceremony arrangements with our florist, and to be honest, I don't remember them at all. Its a shame, because I know they were beautiful. And, if I don't remember them as the bride, its doubtful your guests do.



No comments:

Post a Comment