Monday, July 20, 2009

Wedding Etiquette

While I actively agree with not following all the traditional aspects of weddings {I did not throw a bouquet at my own wedding}, there is one large tradition of weddings that I just can't do away with: traditional RSVP response cards.

My husband and I were recently invited to a wedding and when I opened the envelope it felt a bit lighter than usual, and then when I pulled out the invitation, not much followed ... which I thought was interesting. I read the main invitation and then moved along to see the rest of the suite and lo and behold ... there was a card with the reception time & address and then an email address for people to RSVP to! That was it, no response card fill in and return.

While I understand that the additional cost of postage and printing of cards and envelopes can be costly and make a dent in your overall budget, its one of those expenses that need to be incurred. The RSVP card helps set the overall tone of what is in store for the wedding day and also allows your guests to interact slightly in the whole wedding planning process. By eliminating the RSVP card and replacing it, you're sending a very different message to your guests. Also, what if some of your guests are not tech savvy and don't have an email address? How would you like them to respond? Would you provide instructions on the card for those guests?

There are so many ways to re-invent traditional wedding etiquette to make it more 'you' and more modern and up to date, but your guests RSVP just isn't the place to try something new.

Do you agree or disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment